Indoor Navigation For The Visually Impaired
A public service of Macular Degeneration Support.
Indoor navigation enables users to find their way around large meeting spaces and to always take shortest routes. Using an iPhone or iPad with voice activation, LowViz Guide facilitates orientation and safety, eliminating frustration with unfamiliar venues.
Download free from AppStore
(Currently customized for most recent event.)
- Get only the information that you want by personalizing when, how and how much information you receive
- Search Points of Interest and get directions directly to them
- Metric and imperial measurement settings
- And many more, all designed to take the stress out of navigating through often-confusing conference venues.
The user is guided by a combination of positioning algorithms, Bluetooth low-energy beacons, and a free mobile app on a smart phone. Routing-by-voice is available through the use of the smart phone’s accessibility feature.
Wayfinding technology is being installed permanently worldwide in malls, museums, airports, and subways. LowViz Guide is the first and only system custom made for installation at conferences and seminars.
Important Information–Read Before Using the LowViz Guide App
|We are pleased to serve the following organizations in 2016:
LowViz Guide in the Media:
- Low Vision Conferences Becoming High-Tech Accessible (Prevent Blindness)
- Indoo.rs Helps the Blind Navigate New Environments (GeoConnexion)
- Interview With the Developer (Accessible World Tek Talk. Audio length=1:08:20)
- MD Support’s LowViz Guide Offers Gift of Sight (Prevent Blindness)
- Meet Dan Roberts–Developer of the LowViz Guide Indoor Wayfinding Application (VisionAware)
- Macular Degeneration Foundation Sparks Innovation Using Indoor GPS to Aid Blind (Virtual-Strategy Magazine)
- Interview and Live Demo (Blind Bargains podcast. Audio length=18:58)
- Emerging Technologies: LowViz Guide: Indoor Navigation for Blind and Visually Impaired People (AFB Access World Magazine)
- Dan Roberts addressing the 2015 ACB Convention (Audio length=12:00)
- Macular Degeneration Foundation Sparks Innovation Using Indoor GPS to Aid Blind” (Virtual-Strategy Magazine)
- MD Support and LowViz Guide (ACB Mainstream Radio. Audio length=27:19)
- BlindAbilities Presents the Amazing LowViz Guide and Indoor Wayfinding Technology (Podcast length=50:44)
- Reid My Mind Radio – LowViz Guide Indoor Navigation (Audio length=9:54)
- LowViz Guide Completes Successful Pilot Program (Prevent Blindness)
- BlindAbilities Presents LowViz Guide Revisited (Podcast length=35:02)
Reviews from users:
“I can’t thank you enough for your great support at the Blinded Veterans Association Convention. I heard many great comments about the LowViz Guide.” – Christina Hitchcock, Convention Manager
“I want to sincerely thank you for everything you did to make our wayfinding experience a perfect Portland adventure! I loved having such a reliable and new tool to navigate the hotel!” – Michelle Miller, Secretary, Alumni Association Board of Directors, Guide Dogs for the Blind
“I wish to convey the organization’s sincere appreciation for the demonstration and temporary installation of MD Support’s LowViz Guide app during our Annual Conference and Convention. Your group’s service contributed to one of the most successful conference and conventions the organization has held in recent times.” – Gene Lozano, 1st VP, California Council of the Blind
“Amazing!” — Percy
“This is great, not only for people who are visually-challenged, but for sighted people like me who are directionally-challenged.” — Holly
“I have always thought something like this needed to be done, and now here it is.” — David
“I’m definitely going to use this!” — Bill
“I like this, because it’s subtle. No one has to know I’m visually impaired.” – Maura
“I’ve never heard of anything like this before. It’s fantastic.”— Adam
Funding for LowViz Guide is generously provided by: